New San Juan Mark III Caretaker #2555

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
kingtoros
New San Juan Mark III Caretaker #2555

Post by kingtoros » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi Guys! I'm Toros from Philadelphia.

I picked up Hull #2555 about a month ago from a gentleman out in Kennett Square, PA.

I've posted a few albums found linked below and of course, the latest attachment:
https://imgur.com/a/Rf6Z3Ku
https://imgur.com/a/XS0J2vQ

I have a new question... Are the side benches in the cabin required? It looks like the fiberglass is busted on mine, and if they're not structural, I'd like to remove them and redesign the area (with fiberglass). Partly to add a proper head

See my sketch below:
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-26 at 17.32.35.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-26 at 17.32.35.jpeg (148.66KiB)Viewed 29710 times
And bonus drone capture
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (5.36KiB)Viewed 29700 times

kuriti

Re: New San Juan Mark III Caretaker #2555

Post by kuriti » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:43 pm

I don’t have a definitive answer, but I think you could remove them if you think it is critical. However, I would discourage it without a lot of thought and experience with fiberglass. There is definitely a structural advantage to having them and I would do something to reinforce if you do cut out. I have put inspection ports in mine and considered converting them to storage. Once you cut them up, most people are going to be wary of ever buying your boat since it is a big alteration and “customization” quality is always suspect.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Good advice kuriti- I have read many of your posts and consider you a San Juan Subject Matter Expert (SME).

Part of why I want to cut them out is because they're cracked already, and as I've seen some Mark II models have a platform there for a porta potty. I think you can kind've see it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_sL4klXt4

I'm not too concerned with reselling, perhaps I should be. But in my search for a trailerable sailboat, this appears to be the perfect boat for us, we want to keep it for as long as possible.

Also, the bottom hull fiberglass is dented up pretty bad. I would say it's pushed in about an inch from where it should be flush with the hull. Cutting into the bunks would enable me to sort of ... push back?

What do you think?
Attachments
2019-04-01_10-28-57.jpg
2019-04-01_10-28-57.jpg (34.65KiB)Viewed 29673 times
2019-04-01_10-27-24.jpg
2019-04-01_10-27-24.jpg (41.51KiB)Viewed 29673 times
2019-04-01_10-25-33.jpg
2019-04-01_10-25-33.jpg (32.74KiB)Viewed 29673 times

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm

kingtoros wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:31 pm
Also, the bottom hull fiberglass is dented up pretty bad. I would say it's pushed in about an inch from where it should be flush with the hull. Cutting into the bunks would enable me to sort of ... push back?

What do you think?
Get it up on a hoist, and work on your bunks. I had mine up on a hoist in my driveway for a couple of months when I first bought it. Letting it hang like that will allow the fiberglass to "mostly" return to normal. In addition, make sure you adjust the bunks on your trailer, or add some. When I bought mine it was sitting on a pair of 4-5' bunks, and now it's sitting on 4 8' 2x4 bunks... I went with 2x4's since they flex a lot easier than a 2x6, and a full 8' length to lend a lot more support to the entire hull.

The oil canning is all but completely gone from my hull. I wouldn't cut the berths out myself, i'd fix them back to stock, but someone else might have a different opinion. I know of at least one person that cut them open and installed stiffeners lengthwise to increase the rigidity of the hull, but I don't think he removed them completely or to built a platform for a potty.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:02 pm

cklamp wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm
In addition, make sure you adjust the bunks on your trailer, or add some. When I bought mine it was sitting on a pair of 4-5' bunks, and now it's sitting on 4 8' 2x4 bunks... I went with 2x4's since they flex a lot easier than a 2x6, and a full 8' length to lend a lot more support to the entire hull.
Hey cklamp! I've been reading your posts too, and I consider you also to be a San Juan SME :)

I think this is a great idea. I am surprised by how versatile trailers are in general. I have only two 6' posts and two rollers (one at the very forward bow, and one a few feet back running amidship) and wondered if this was nearly enough.

Part of the restoration is to build this wooden gantry to paint the hull, I will now ensure to leave it on there a bit longer than the weekend I had planned for painting. https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/t ... hop-tools/

---

To clarify the hacking of the bunks, I'm not planning on removing them entirely, I'm considering taking approx. an 18" section of the starboard side out to fit the porta potty.
Attachments
qT4SP7c.jpg
qT4SP7c.jpg (29.35KiB)Viewed 29659 times

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:33 pm

I think you are fine to cut a section of that size. CKlamp is right about the trailer bunks. I had some crazing where mine sits on the bunks, but they haven't returned after I painted. If you have that big a hole, it would be good to fiberglass in some supports where there is oil canning while you are there. A 1x2 with matt/cloth would do it run laterally where the bunks touch. Even an old paper towel roll cut in half and used as a form would work. My only other thought would be, do you want to sleep over your poop? I have a bucket in which I keep a heavy duty secondary anchor with chain and rode, then when the time comes, I put on a seat like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Zone-B ... way&sr=8-3

Assuming I am anchored in a private location, I take it into the cockpit, put some water in it, do my thing, then throw it overboard. I guess you could use kitty litter if you didn't want to eject into the water. Rinse a couple of times and put the anchor back in.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:28 pm

kuriti wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:33 pm
do you want to sleep over your poop?
I literally cried laughing when I read this! No, I do not lol The way I see it, there are three bunks remaining, port side coffin bunk and the V-Berth for sleeping arrangements.

Also, while that fancy seat on the bucket is not at all an issue for me, my wife wants something more like this: https://amzn.to/2YJYyFN
kuriti wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:33 pm
If you have that big a hole, it would be good to fiberglass in some supports where there is oil canning while you are there. A 1x2 with matt/cloth would do it run laterally where the bunks touch. Even an old paper towel roll cut in half and used as a form would work.
You're talking about from the inside of the bunks essentially? I was e-mailing with Andy over at boatworks today, he suggested rigging it all up and take her out to see if there's any flexing/buckling at those spots before cutting them out. Stay tuned, I may be able to get her on the water with the old sails, late this weekend. I'll let you guys know either way

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:57 pm

yeah, fiberglassing soft spots on the hull that you can only reach from inside the bunks. Even if they are flexing, I would attempt a reinforcement before I would start cutting out sections of my hull. That would scare the crap out of me. That might mean a layer or two of mat that bridges across the oil can to firm glass, then runners overtop for even more stability. I can't imagine a situation where that wouldn't work and would not compromise the integrity of the hull. If you can reach both sides of the area in question, I would just jack up the boat and push from both sides to see how much flex exists. If you can get any movement with just your fingers, some reinforcement is probably worthwhile. If it feels like wet cardboard, don't take it out until you address it, but I doubt that will happen as we are talking about 3/16" fiberglass.

Also, my wife used my potty once and hasn't agreed to sleep on the boat since. So, you are either wise or foolish, depending on your goals for cohabitation, to go with a formal one.

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Haha this has been a great read! Ya’ll are always talking crap! Now that I see what is being cut out I don’t think that will be too bad. I’ve done a lot of fiberglass work and once again I must agree with Kuriti Cutting into the hull would scare the hell out of me. That don’t sound like a watertight proposition to me. I would definitely go at it from the inside. They did use the cardboard tube underneath the cockpit as a stabilizer which is covered in fiberglass. I am the owner of Hull number 2560 and on the transom they also used the cardboard tubes wrapped in fiberglass. And since yours is only five off from mine you ought to check it out how they did it. Good luck with the project!