A Jarhead in Arkansas

After you've registered, add a post here telling others a bit about yourself and your boat.
rodburner6011
A Jarhead in Arkansas

Post by rodburner6011 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:31 pm

You talk about a newbi, you got one here!
I found such a nice deal on a San Juan 21 on a trailer that I could not pass it up. Trailer needs a little work also but I've been a welder for over 35 years so the trailer isn't even a problem. Fact is,,, when I get the trailer looking new I could probably sale it for what I gave for the whole package. Has no rudder but I plan on making one out of aluminum, so no problem there. It does not have any sails. If anyone knows where I might find a useable set of pre-owned sails , I would be greatful. Eventually , I would like to get a new set, but I need to learn a little about this stuff first.
Where I live in Arkansas , my property sits next to the corps property around Bull Shoals lake. So I have plenty of water and my house is only 1/2 mile from a ramp. I guess standing on my deck out back, the water keeps calling,,, lol I'll try to post a pic of what I have , then hopefully about mid summer, I'll post a pic of what I have.
I know it's only March but I hope your forum has a lot of traffic, because I plan on checking in a bunch for help and advice.

thanks in advance for any help or advise

Randy
Attachments
new boat1.jpg
new boat1.jpg (185.85KiB)Viewed 15811 times

kuriti

Re: A Jarhead in Arkansas

Post by kuriti » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:25 am

Welcome aboard! Been quite around here for a while, but some of us check in fairly often. Do a search before asking, then fire away. Someone will answer eventually.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:09 pm

Just a short comment on your plan to make a rudder out of aluminum. I'm sure it would steer the boat, but the stock rudder has an airfoil shape. An aluminum rudder would not be class legal, if you wanted to join a club and try racing. For day sailing or camp cruising, i'm sure it would be fine!

Fair winds,
Roamer

rodburner6011

Post by rodburner6011 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:03 am

Thanks for the comments, Boats not in the water and I already know I'll have a blast. About the aluminum rudder. After re-reading my post I can understand the confusion. What I ment to say was I had planned on making an aluminum frame work which would hold a drop in rudder. But after some searching I have changed my mind on that. Ive decided to go with just wood. I think it will add to the looks of the rear of the boat and I have found all the specs on what the shape needs to be, There is a bunch of good reading on this site. if you take time to read this,,,, please have a good day.