Chainplate Leaks

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
BadgerJuan
Chainplate Leaks

Post by BadgerJuan » Sat May 02, 2015 12:21 am

Hello,

I'm working to get my boat ready for the season. One of the items on my list is to fix the leak at one of my chain plates. When it rains hard, ther is always a little water that enters the cabin from one of the plates. The bulkhead seems OK and it looks like the previous owner caulked around where the plate enters the cabin roof.

My original plan was to remove and reinstall the plate. However, upon quick examination, I don't see how the plate is attached. From the outside, it looks like it's pop-riveted in place with no fasteners visible from below.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Jim Moravec
1979 San Juan 21 MK 2 SN 2270
Madison WI

kuriti

Re: Chainplate Leaks

Post by kuriti » Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 pm

The sealant and bolts to the bulkhead were the only thing holding mine in. There was a plate that lay parallel to the deck much like the backstay plate that i suppose was supposed to give some lateral stability, but it was not directly attached the chainplate. Unbolt the chainplate from the bulkhead, run a razor around it to cut the sealant, then whack it out. I strongly encourage you to remove all the old sealant, then chip out as much balsa core as you can with the bent nail trick. Then tape up the bottom and fill it with thickened epoxy. Once dry, re-cut the slot for the chainplate and re-install with 4200. I was able to cut out enough core to include the screw holes for the deck plate I mentioned. Then you will know that your core is safe.