Adding a Traveler

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets to rigging a San Juan 21
BadgerJuan
Adding a Traveler

Post by BadgerJuan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Hello,

last week I had the pleasure to go sailing on a Catalina 38 up in Lake Superior. I was impressed at how high we could point using their traveler system. My current boat does not have one. So, I am considering adding one and would like to know other San Juan 21 owner's experiences with them. Specifically:

1. I was always put off with the installations I have seen and the fact that you had to climb over the traveler rail within the cockpit. Is installing the traveler worth it or does it seem to get in the way a lot?

2. It would be great if someone could share the details of their installation. What type of traveler hardware did you use? Where did you locate the traveler along the boom? Pictures would be great!

3. Are their any disadvantages to a traveler system over the stock boom control that came with the boat?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have.

Jim Moravec
Badgerjuan
Middleton. WI
Jim Moravec
1979 San Juan 21 MK 2 SN 2270
Madison WI

Krysia Ry

Re: Adding a Traveler

Post by Krysia Ry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:42 pm

I have a mid-cockpit Garhauer traveller and will be removing it. I sail a Mk III and find it cramps my cockpit. For me, it is also another piece of equipment that takes the focus off steering the boat and I find that problematic in racing. I find I am looking down to manage tha thing instead of looking forward. Could be I'm just not that quick, but it is a pain. Been talking to Kermit and Wooglin' over the years and that is the direction I am headed ( pun intended).
Cheers
Bill

cklamp

Post by cklamp » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 am

I used to have a transom mounted traveler but have moved to one of the simple Bridle setups. Not sure who brought it into the San Juan 21 Class, but I think Kermit, Blue Pearl, Woogling, and most of the faster boats seem to be using a very similar setup. I'm in agreement with Bill, with my Transom mounted setup I was constantly managing the traveler and not really thinking about "going fast" or pointing fast. There are advantages to a cockpit or transom mounted traveler, but when listening to everyone who uses them I keep thinking It just sounds like yet another distraction on the boat.

Bridle system example... like in the 2nd picture. Bob Abelin had some great pictures of BP that explained it too.
http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/ ... -vs-bridle

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

Mark Sailmaker

Post by Mark Sailmaker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Many of the folks around here - East and Southeast coast - use travellers. Most have a Harken small boat traveller mounted in the cockpit somewhere near the forward limit allowed by the class. One big advantage comes in light air rather than a breeze. Pulling the traveller car all the way to weather allows the boom to come to centerline without excessive sheet tension. With all the wind sheer that occurs in light air, it's important to have a twisted leech profile to prevent stalling the main. If you regularly sail in more than 10 kts, it's not such a big deal. In big breeze and waves it is also advantageous to have a twisted profile so that you have a wider driving groove - part of the main is working most of the time rather than "off" and "on". As to the "distraction factor" - after we're settled out of a tack, the jib is usually cleated and the crew can take over the traveller adjustments. I find the traveller is an easier adjustment to replicate than easing and trimming the sheet for gusts and helm control. While the traveller bar is a fence across the cockpit, it doesn't move around. In the top picture, the traveller control line is in the heavy air position, cleated near the rail for either the driver or crew to adjust. In the lower pic the control line is in the light air position so the car can be pulled to weather from the leeward side - keeps the boat heeled and quiet. I also really like the Harken 2:1-4:1 mainsheet - grab both parts for speed, or one for power. In big breeze, both crew and driver can have a part for safety to prevent a knockdown or roll out.
Attachments
traveller1.jpg
traveller1.jpg (160KiB)Viewed 21945 times
traveller1 (2).jpg
traveller1 (2).jpg (128KiB)Viewed 21945 times

susanlorenzen

Post by susanlorenzen » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:07 am

I have a traveler and I can't wait to return the boat to stock rigging. That traveler has been a nuisance since the day we got the boat. I vote for not getting one!!