2012 NAs ???

Race Reports, Notice of Race, and Rules Discussions
Capt. Woogy
2012 NAs ???

Post by Capt. Woogy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Any updates on how the racing down at Huntington Lake went? (or is that up at Huntington Lake? way up)
- Chris
Chris Popich
"Wooglin Juance Again" MK1 #986
Fleet 1 - Seattle

Capt. Woogy

Re: 2012 NAs ???

Post by Capt. Woogy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Jump over to our National website for a nice write-up on the event. Sounds like it was a wild one. Thanks Jon.
http://sj21class.org/events.html
Chris Popich
Fleet 1 - Seattle

Capt. Woogy

Post by Capt. Woogy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 am

So..... do we get to see any pictures of the Sj21 with it's keel pointing to the sky?
Chris Popich
Fleet 1 - Seattle

Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 am

Yes -- photos, pls, if anyone had a chance to get some. We sail at 7300', at the foot of some 12,000' mountains. What the Nat'l site describes is a fairly typical wind pattern for a mountain lake.

Thirty-plus is almost certain at some point in the day; forty is a monthly sailing experience; we get hit by fifty once or twice a season. Afternoon katabatics (winds not always related to t-storms, but sometimes yes) can result in straightline winds over 60 mph. Often without warning, from a clear blue sky; often with shifts of over 100 degrees.

The same day I took this photo on Lake Granby, CO, we got knocked down by an airport-confirmed 60mph blast & nearly driven into the dam:

That was the first time our mast hit the water. The second came when I was singlehanding this year on our local lake. Really freakish microburst winds, one of which came with a big shift & I was too slow releasing the sheet. Reefed main only, and the stick still went under. I really, really thought it wasn't coming back. LPS on these boats can't be much over 100 degrees, can it?

We almost always sail with hatches closed and PFDs on around here. Mountain winds & cold glacial water will kill you toot sweet. :o Was sailing with a guy whose friend pitchpoled a C22 on Jackson Lake. Following wind -- gust so strong it just drove the bows straight to the lakebed.

Glad everyone emerged safe!