Bow eye above or below roller on trailer?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
kingtoros
Re: Bow eye above or below roller on trailer?

Post by kingtoros » Sun May 24, 2020 3:02 pm

So, I had a change to fix this situation this weekend. I replaced all the rollers and both bunks on the trailer. I also moved up the bow winch mount up 1 foot, and the boat is sitting perfectly on the trailer now. No more tongue weight issues. I also added the side bunks to help centering. We got it in one shot.

See photo writeup here: https://imgur.com/gallery/FS9dMjm
Attachments
XKNqVyv.jpg
XKNqVyv.jpg (34.11KiB)Viewed 49092 times

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon May 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Great job! I need some side bunks. Hardest part at the dock is keeping it aligned as I pull up the trailer, especially in a cross wind. I was going to do it originally, but ran out of money and then just forgot about it. Might need to start looking around for some.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am

kuriti wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:01 pm
Great job! I need some side bunks. Hardest part at the dock is keeping it aligned as I pull up the trailer, especially in a cross wind. I was going to do it originally, but ran out of money and then just forgot about it. Might need to start looking around for some.
Thanks :) I've acquired all my parts from etrailer.com, they've beat amazon in the new covid shipping times. These were the side bunks I got: https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-P ... 27660.html

When I first dry fit them, the tube was just a bit too long bumping into the old bunk. So I lobbed off 3" with the reciprocal saw, that way I could get them as close in as I wanted without interfering with the bunks.

Lastly, bow eye definitely below the roller.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 pm

That’s where I get all my trailer parts too. Just hard to justify that dough for a nice to have. I will keep a look out on Craigslist. The only critical part is the bent aluminum.

Gman377

Post by Gman377 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 am

Man that is nice! That’s the hardest part of pulling the boat out trying to get it centered on the trailer.I’m a little jealous but like Kuriti I just don’t know if I can justify the money spent on that. Good job!

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

After this post I was in my garage and realized I have two side bunks hanging on the wall from the trailer I am storing for my parents boat. I didn’t use them because I assumed I would have to reinstall on their trailer as needed. I converted their trailer to a canoe trailer, but have to go pull their’s out for hurricanes and maintenance occasionally. I realized I have already made the trip down there once without them installed so they must not be essential. Will see if they fit mine this weekend. Funny how the universe works.