cockpit drain or drains

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
LRM2
cockpit drain or drains

Post by LRM2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi all, another question for the group. My cockpit drain is a single hole in the sole near the companionway draining into the bilge. Like the horizontal transom top, I have to believe this is a non-standard modification. What is the standard setup for cockpit drains? How many and where, and where should they drain to?
Thanks!
Lewis

Krysia Ry

Re: cockpit drain or drains

Post by Krysia Ry » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Sounds pretty standard. These boats weren't built with a lot of drainage/scuppers in the cockpit.
Cheers
Bill

LRM2

Post by LRM2 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanks, Bill. I've been looking through SJ 21 pictures, and I notice that some have no through hulls at all. I'm wondering where the rain goes when the boat's moored or sitting on a trailer, not to mention water washing in over a gunnel when sailing.
Since I'm rebuilding the transom, I think directing the drain to a through hull above the water line, or scuppers, or both, might be worth considering.

kingtoros

Post by kingtoros » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:38 pm

Be careful about this, our boats do not have any positive buoyancy and will sink if taken on water inside the boat.

I have a Mark III, and the cockpit drains into the keel trunk, but there is no other drain in the boat. Sometimes the keel trunk splashes water in (I should really reseal the cover to the trunk) and that water gets sponged out.

LRM2

Post by LRM2 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 pm

Thanks! Running the cockpit drain to the keel trunk makes sense since the drain is at the forward end of the cockpit (and explains why so many pictures show no through hulls). Should be relatively straightforward to re-implement that on my boat.
I guess that the placement of the cockpit drain forward means that the cockpit sole generally slopes forward while underway? If that's the case, scuppers wouldn't do any good anyway.