Hull # 396 restoration questions

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
JHubb
Hull # 396 restoration questions

Post by JHubb » Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so let me know if I'm in the wrong place.
We would like to do some overnights on the Chesapeake if Maryland opens up recreation boating.
This is our first sail boat so im not sure where my priorities should lie
I've already ordered new windows, and cleaned up the teak so now I'm trying to get more done before we can get on the water.
With that in mind, i have a few questions I'm hoping to get some answers for.

1. It looks like the previous owner had the battery on the shelf over the V berth, but that doesn't sound like a good. Where should it be?

2. None of the interior bulkhead/box's have access other the 1 small(4") screw on, in the side of the starboard quarter berth. Is it safe to cut access holes in the top?

3. The previous owner lost the tiller and attachment to the rudder. what tiller shape is the best replacement?

4.the mast light. she has a light that plus in via a cigarette lighter outlet and gets run up the rigging. should i upgrade and run a line up inside the mast, or just keep it the way it is.

5. VHF antenna. Sould i run one up the mast (with the mast light?), or am i over thinkng it and a simple handheld will do?

6. What am i missing? what would you want done before you go out?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but that's it for now.
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Mojo899

Re: Hull # 396 restoration questions

Post by Mojo899 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Welcome!!

1. I would move the battery in my opinion. Keep your weight as low as possible. The better spot would be to build a slight platform for it just behind the keel trunk on a Mk 1.

2. There should be no problem cutting access ports on either or both sides of the bulk head boxes. The Mk 2's have them on both sides.

3. sjsailboats.com. You can get the exact tiller replacement from him. He is in Seattle but can ship.

4. My recommendation is to not run the line inside of the mast unless you want to hear slapping wires all night. Even though it is ugly and potential for catching on things I would keep it outside of the mast.

5. a VHF antenna off the back of the boat is just fine rather than running more wires up the mast.

6. Do you have an anchor? Are you looking to just get out and sail or will you be racing?

JHubb

Post by JHubb » Tue May 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks!

Mojo899

Post by Mojo899 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:12 pm

How far in to restoration do you plan to go?

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Wed May 06, 2020 12:41 pm

Hey! My $.02.

1,2- I have a MkII where the boxes are factory cut out. That is where I store my battery.

3. Stephen is definitely the easiest/best option for a tiller replacement, but you could easily make your own too. Look at pics online or one of us could take measurements if you need. Do you have the rudder cheeks and teak spacer, or just the rudder?

4. I got rid of my mast light as just another hole in the deck. Technically, we are small enough not to require an anchor light. I bought an LED flashlight that pops open into a lantern that I run up the jib halyard. Also, just anchor in protected water outside a channel and you should be fine.

5. I sail in the Pamlico and Albemarle sound and only use a handheld. In fact, I like a submersible one in my life jacket since I am the only one in my family who could complete a successful MOB maneuver, which means I am basically screwed if I fall off.

6. Horn/noise maker. I actually keep a brass whistle on my knife lanyard along with a marlin spike. I got sick of buying disposable horns, but also in a MOB, I have a noisemaker in my pocket. Flares in date. If you keep your gas can in the lasserette, technically you need ventilation. I installed some small scoops, one aiming forward, one stern. My marina had a free coast guard inspection that I got and figure is preventative in avoiding an on water boarding. They give you a sticker. I prefer to do inspections on my terms when I am sober. You will want charts, I can recommend iSailor. Or just download the free paper charts from NOAA. I bought a laminator off eBay years ago to laminate my own. Binoculars are nice to read markers at a distance. I actually carry a second heavy bruce anchor with longer chain when on the coast. Rarely use it, but it came in handy this last trip when the wind was so big. A shitter. I use a Home Depot bucket and a seat that pops on it, $15 on Amazon. Music is not optional for me. I installed two small polyplaner speakers and use a motorcycle amp to power them. Cushions for the coffin berths. The V-berth is useless in my opinion, and I only sleep in the coffin berths. Interior LED mounted light is nice. Bug screens! I just sewed some permanent ones, but you can jury rig something. Some anchorages there is no escaping them and hundreds of mosquitoes can make for a miserable night. That gets most of it.

JHubb

Post by JHubb » Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice!
This season i just want to get her on the water safely.
I want to get her in looking and sailing great.
Changing out the port-lights is a must, i could see water running down the inside from hosing her off.
I do have an anchor (4 actually), and a portable toilet.
Now a few more questions
Thinking of re-beding the hardware. Should I take off the chain plates and have them looked at/replaced while I'm at it??
The standing rigging looks good to me but I'm a dummy. Should i replace it anyway, get to looked at, or go with it as is?
Thanks again,
Jeff

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sat May 09, 2020 2:36 am

You should pull all deck fittings and drill/fill them with epoxy. The number one concern of all SJ 21 owners should be water intrusion into the deck/transom. All other sins will be forgiven. I still use my original chain plates, but pulled them and rebeded. If original, it’s probably time to change rigging after 30+ years. Look for rusty or frayed wires. I used my original for the first year, but generally speaking, you should work towards replacement. Search the forum for port light replacement, I posted a method.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Sat May 09, 2020 1:28 pm

I looked and realized I never posted a write up in the port lights, rather I shared some links in another post. Here you go:

i found this article very helpful on the portlights:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/replac ... portlights

Helpful for cutting plexiglass. I bought a full sheet at a local dealer of plexiglass and had them cut it in half. Wanna say $120ish.

https://www.eplastics.com/blog/how-to-c ... ss-acrylic