Do we have to use Randy Blair's fairing, or can we make our?

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Steve
Do we have to use Randy Blair's fairing, or can we make our?

Post by Steve » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:26 am

Although I can order a fairing from Randy Blair - and have bought several from him over the years - it would be easier and faster to simply make my own. Assuming I abide the rule that we can't fair the edges smoothly to the hull, is this allowed? Or is only Randy's class legal?

Steve

cklamp

Re: Do we have to use Randy Blair's fairing, or can we make

Post by cklamp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:20 am

We've had discussions about building our own in Fleet 1. I haven't done it myself, but the front edge of Randy's doesn't really fit the profile of our boats very well, and i'd love to improve on that.

As far as being class legal or not, I think you'd be fine as long as you keep it within the spirit wherein the front and side "edges" of the fairings follow a similar profile to the original metal gasket retainers, screws and all. And it also follows that similar squared ramp profile... But... I'm not the class measurer, so final say wouldn't be mine.

my .02$ though.

Later
C
Fleet 1 Webmaster
http://www.sj21fleet1.org
http://www.sj21fleet1forums.org
SJ21 1974 MKI #897, Mizu

bluepearl

Post by bluepearl » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi Steve, there is nothing really special about the Blair keel fairing, but it works very reliably. As far as the rules go you can do pretty much whatever you want down there assuming you leave the aluminum retainer strips basically intact or don't add anything that fairs the strips away. I worked out a design for a different front fairing that could be better but I haven't tried to install it. It would sit more flush with the hull but wouldn't be drastically different than existing designs.
Bob Abelin - National Commodore
#714 Blue Pearl MK 1

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:54 am

I asked this question of Mike Chesser, Class Measurer, who replied:

"The only keel fairing that has the Class approval is the so-called "Blair" fairing. Any individual is free to fabricate and install a copy of the fairing, but it must be of that same design, and mounted to protect the batten profile as you described
If you wish to submit an alternate design for review, please include sufficient details of construction, materials, dimensions, and sketches to allow a thorough evaluation and include any reasons for the design change...benefits, risks, etc."

So it seems only a pretty much exact replica of Randy's is considered legal.

Steve

bluepearl

Post by bluepearl » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Steve, the reason the Blair fairing is the only legal one is because it's the only one that has been submitted for approval. Obviously any new design would need to get some sort of approval, but If you maintained the basic concept of the Blair fairing it would not be difficult to get it approved.
Bob Abelin - National Commodore
#714 Blue Pearl MK 1

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:18 am

I understand, Bob.

Really, I only wanted to make a one-off without a mould, shaping it around the keel when I get my boat up on a hoist. There's no plan to create a design for general use, one that could be brought to the class association for official approval. And so I was hoping that if I abided the rule about leaving the perimeter of whatever I made conform to the existing aluminum strips at the hull, that would be OK. Seems not, though.