Outboard Motor

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Roamer
Outboard Motor

Post by Roamer » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Has anyone attempted to use a short shaft outboard with the standard, factory-installed bracket? It looks to me as though it would immerse the propeller, particularly with my portly self sitting close to the transom to operate it...

Krysia Ry

Re: Outboard Motor

Post by Krysia Ry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Any wave action or walking forward will quickly have your prop out of the water, even with most long shafts.
Bill

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:19 pm

I use the original mount with a long shaft and it works flawlessly. I agree that it would probably be an issue on a short shaft in waves. Got my 4 hp Yamaha long shaft off Craigslist for $400 if i remember correctly.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:04 pm

I am seriously considering a Torqeedo Travel 1003. Available in long shaft. It can now be found new or gently used for about the same as new Tohatsu. I dislike gas outboards. I see too many people at the launch ramp fiddling with them. Mostly fisherman with small outboards on 16-18 foot aluminum skiffs. In the past, I've had my own starting problems with small gas engines on lawn mowers, etc. Now I have a lawn tractor and snow thrower with electric start, but this is not available on small outboards. Thoughts?

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:05 pm

i think it is a non gas engine is a great idea. I finally got all my issues worked out, but gas engines are a pain in the ass and smelly. I lake sailed all summer and only burned maybe a gallon of gas, so as long as you plan on sailing and not motoring, go for it. That said, i have also had the engine bail my ass out in the pamlico sound when motor sailing for three hours was the only way to make headway against 25mph winds. so, if you plan on doing some long distance, medium size water cruising, it is nice to know that you have many hours of power when needed. Lake sailing, an electric, or even better propane, is a no brainer if you can afford the engine. i will probably look hard at propane engines if this one ever dies (unlikely).

gleninst

Post by gleninst » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Depending on where you sail consider an electric trolling motor. I have a Minnkota 55# unit on my MK1 and it pushes the boat just fine. It's emission friendly, lightweight, reliable, adjustable shaft length, less fire risk, etc. Obviously if you sail in ocean or unprotected waters this approach would hardly be suitable but might serve as an ideal solution for smaller lakes or bays. For whatever it's worth-----.

JimW

Post by JimW » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:56 pm

For what it's worth, I have a short shaft Honda 2hp motor (great motor, but not knowing any better thought I was buying a long shaft off Craigslist). I have an adjustable mount (I assume the factory mount is not adjustable). I made some modifications to get it deeper into the water and it works well enough most of the time. But when the waves get gnarlier, I really have to have some ballast sitting back near the stern to keep the prop underwater most of the time. I sail on the Great Lake and other inland lakes. If you aren't on big water, and if the factory mount gets the cavitation plate underwater, and if don't mind managing the ballast to keep the prop down, a short shaft might work. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend getting a long shaft instead.
IMG_6200 (1).jpg
IMG_6200 (1).jpg (73.25KiB)Viewed 19176 times
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Thank you all for your input. I will concentrate on long shaft motors!

kuriti: I considered propane, but could only find one manufacturer; they seem to have a spotty reputation for quality, ease of starting, and customer service.
gleninst: Lakes, flood control reservoirs only (for now...) As for trolling motor, a separate battery is required, and wiring between them. Torqeedo is self contained. I don't have a wiring system (house battery) installed and will carry self powered lights in case I am caught out after dark (unlikely).

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Just as a follow-up, I bought a new Tohatsu 4 hp. It has its own tank, and F-N-R shifter. Honda uses a remote tank, and smaller hp motors don't have reverse; you have to spin the motor around 180 degrees. Plus Tohatsu has a good rep. A winning combination of features for me, and paid much less than a new, or even used, Torqeedo.