Hull to hull liner repair

Everything related to San Juan 21 and the Class Association
Roamer
Hull to hull liner repair

Post by Roamer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

My hull needs some repairs on the inside. The fiberglass tape that connects the starboard bunk to the hull is solidly attached to the hull, but loose from the vertical edge of the bunk. This is near the centerline of the boat, opposite the keel trunk.

I plan to cut out the old tape with a multi-tool, apply an epoxy fillet with a radius of about 3/8" to 1/2", then apply new fiberglass tape to the joint with epoxy. Following repairs, I'll be repainting the interior after filling many extra holes, repairing stress cracks, etc.

Comments? Better methods?

Thx, George

JimW

Re: Hull to hull liner repair

Post by JimW » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I like West Six10 a lot for the convenience in making fillets and small jobs, but it isn't a bargain. You might also consider adding an access port on the bunk so that you can adhere the back side too.
former 1979 mkII #2263 "Gabriola"

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:46 pm

I agree with the inspection port. i haven't refurbished the inside of my boat yet, but i will add large access ports when i do for storage and inspection. The boat is going to sink if filled, so might as well have access to that space.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:08 am

Good idea on the inspection ports. Good idea to re-fasten both sides. Although if I'm going to work on the inside on the bunk, I'm thinking one of those big rectangular doors (http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ha ... /index.htm) will enable me to get tools in there and see what I'm doing. Also allow easier access for use as storage. I would mount this on the horizontal surface on the bunk. I don't think it would be enough of a lump under the foam pad to be uncomfortable.

When I get going, I'll post some WIP pix.

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 pm

The bigger the better to my mind. i have even considered cutting a portion of the top off and converting it to a cabinet lid with some reinforcement. would be nice storage for cruising.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:40 pm

So I've been working on another problem that I didn't see until I started cleaning and poking around the interior. I had noticed a black spot right up in the upper corner of the stem area, where the deck and the bow come together. I found that there is a wooden block which seperates the chainplate for the forestay from the chainplate for the jib tack. This block was completely rotted out. I removed it and made a new block to fit, coated it with epoxy, then slathered on a thick coat of epoxy plus filleting powder. When I jammed it into place, I saw good squeeze out all around, so I think it's in there solidly.

The problem was caused by the fact that when I drilled out the pop rivits for the chainplate covers, there was no sign of there ever having been any bedding compound! Water was continually running down through the deck opening and onto the top of the original spacer block. Everything now well bedded in 3M 4000UV.

Rotted piece and new piece:
http://postimg.org/image/rbwj6gsur/

New piece installed:
http://postimg.org/image/craeeirkj

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:58 pm

That looks like a solid repair. i am just confused because my forward chainplate is completely external with only the bolts coming through.

Roamer

Post by Roamer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:38 pm

I think it's just a design change from my Mark I to your Mark II:

kuriti

Post by kuriti » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Cool. I think you should set it up for a cutter rig!