Craigslist - SJ21 MKII - Athens GA

TomD
Craigslist - SJ21 MKII - Athens GA

Post by TomD » Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 pm

The latest one. Looks in good shape.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/2375361119.html

1980 San Juan 21 - Ready to Sail - $1950 (Athens)
Date: 2011-05-11, 3:33PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pbhdk-2375361119@craigslist.org

This is a 1980 San Juan 21 sail boat with gear and trailer. This boat is ready for the lake now. New lines have been added. The sails are fully functional and well cared for. The hull and decks are firm and in good shape. This one is perfect for trailering and weekend cruising.
The following additional gear comes with the boat:
All standing and running rigging New Lines
Sails Sail Bags
Battens
Full cabin cushions (Sleeps four)
Rudder
Sail Cover
Trailer
Retractable Motor Mount
5hp outboard
This boat is in remarkable shape for its age. Make no mistake it is a 31 year old boat in good condition and it also doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
From the San Juan 21s I have not seen one in better shape. The boat comes as-is but if you are looking for one of these classics, in way above average shape, and ready to go to the water this weekend - this is for you. Now that camera is working if there are any other pictures you want - ask me
Attachments
sj21-athens.jpg
sj21-athens.jpg (80.03KiB)Viewed 7868 times

Ben G

Re: Craigslist - SJ21 MKII - Athens GA

Post by Ben G » Fri May 20, 2011 4:34 pm

FWIW, I believe this boat is one that I looked at about a year ago. From memory, here are a few things prospective buyers may want to give attention to:

1. Water leaked thru forward hatch. Common for this boat. However, it may need a gasket. Of greater concern is the V-berth cushions were wet and perhaps moldy.
2. Keel trunk had some rough fiberglass repairs around the lock and stop bolts. Unsure whether all is good or further work is needed.
3. The outboard is an old sears motor that the seller agreed has no value. You may need to buy a motor for this boat.
4. This boat was kept in a slip and not trailered. The trailer is heavy duty and only used once to get the boat to the house. It may or may not be suitable for trailer sailing.
5. The sails seemed to be original... and well cared for.
6. There was water in the bilge accessible thru the port under the winch. I don't know what that may be indicative of.

As with any SJ21, look it over good and make your own assessment. With some TLC this might be a great cruiser, or get new sails and go racing. I'd bet the seller is motivated, so make an offer!
Ben Gibson/'77 Mk-II/#1864/cruiser/Greenville, SC