SJ 21 wanted

timkendall
SJ 21 wanted

Post by timkendall » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:05 pm

We ( wife and I and 4 kids under 9 ) are looking for a SJ21 for the family to sail and race. Not looking for a project boat. Good condition with trailer. Prefer dry sailed. Willing to drive within 8 or so hrs of NC.

Thanks

Tim

SeaBiscuits

Re: SJ 21 wanted

Post by SeaBiscuits » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Tim,

I have a 1976 SJ 21 mark II for sale. She has been under wraps for about 9 years so I finally am admitting that I should sell her. She has a strong deck with no rot. Original cushions in the v-berth and quarter berths with the logo on them. There are two head sails and the main with sail covers. A six horse 2 cycle Evinrude Sailtwin goes with. She is on a modern, circa 2000 trailer with galvanizing in good shape. Tire and bearings in good shape. Clear title on the boat but I'm not sure if the trailer is registered. I'll have to check. I also have a boom tent that I bought for her but never used if interested.

If you are interested, let me know.

John

rstanhope

Re: SJ 21 wanted

Post by rstanhope » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:17 am

Hi Tim,

I have for sale a San Juan 21 Mark III which may be the last one built in 1985. It is sail number 2602. I have had conversations with Gene Adams, who supplied me with many replacement parts, who owned sail number 2601 which he thought was the last one built. I read on line today that he passed away recently, age 82, but thankfully he transferred his business to Stephen Jensen of Bothel, Washington, who continues to supply San Juan 21 parts.

My wife and I have dry sailed it on the upper Chesapeake Bay, fresh water, for the past ten years while I proceeded to bring it back to as new condition. We even built a three car garage so it has been kept indoors. I don't think you will find one in better shape, so I'm asking what the class association lists as the upper price for one: $5,000. I bought it from a couple who bought it new and raced it with great success from their home in Wichita, Kansas - all fresh water. It took me four days to trailer it home.

We are now spending more time with four grandchildren so it's time to find "Miss Sally" a new home. I look forward to sharing photos and details with you. Send me an email at <stanhopes@verizon.net>.

Bob Stanhope
15505 Chilcoat Road, Sparks, Maryland 21152